Thursday, April 19, 2012

Chinese Painting

       I made this Chinese painting so I could experiment with the intentional brush stroke that defines Chinese art. I have always been fascinated by the horizontal orientation that screams eastern culture. I learned quite a bit about Chinese paintings through the process of making this digital painting. Through my research I learned that the red mark in the corner is calligraphy print of the artist’s name. Also there are normally a number of these printed marks on the painting indicating the people who have owned that specific piece of artwork, each person adding to the legacy of that painting. Poetry is often found on Chinese paintings, usually pertaining to the subject matter or sometimes the trials the artist had when making that specific piece of artwork. There is a larger value placed on words and how things are worded in Chinese culture.

work in progress
The printed mark in the corner is my name Mitchell, Alan which is read from right to left, which was a little bit confusing. Eastern culture puts the family name first, followed by the individual’s name and it is read right to left traditionally. I learned one more thing from my research, the tree I used actually isn't a cherry blossom as I first thought, but it's actually a plum blossom tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment